When it gets hot around here it gets really hot. Those high temperatures and high humidity levels are going to be formidable opponents for your air conditioner. It makes sense that you would want to do as much as possible to help your AC keep your home cool. Hello if you’re not sure where to start we can provide some helpful tips.
We want you to enjoy an air conditioner that functions efficiently and effectively, but to get the best of both of those qualities here are some pointers. Using these best practices can ensure that your air conditioning in Palmetto Bay, FL will offer the best level of cooling possible when it counts the most.
Tips to Get the Most From Your AC System
Use these best practices to help keep your home cool.
- Keep things on the darker side. We understand that natural light is enjoyable. However natural light also carries a lot of heat with it. During summer it is best to keep the blinds closed and the curtains drawn throughout most of the day to keep out the heat. This makes things a lot easier on your AC.
- Use those fans! Fans don’t cool the air off but they do help you feel cooler. Using a fan can help you feel cooler because it helps your body evaporate sweat more quickly. When you feel cooler you can reduce the demand on your air conditioner.
- Make sure there are no air leaks. Have an older window or door that has poor sailing around it? This is likely to be the source of an air leak. Issues like these allow the hot dirty humid air from outside your home to get in making it harder to cool things off and stressing out your air conditioner. If you have air leaks around your home make sure to get them sealed up.
- Adjust the thermostat. This may sound counterintuitive but keeping the setting on your thermostat a little higher can help improve your air conditioner’s function. The Department of Energy specifically advises keeping it around 75 to 78° degrees during the summer to optimize efficiency and effectiveness.
- Change the filter. Changing the filter for your AC regularly will make a huge difference over the course of the summer. Clean filters are better able to capture airborne debris without hindering the flow of air into your AC. Make sure to change out your disposable filter every one to three months depending on how heavily you are using your AC.
- Be prompt with AC services. Last but not least don’t forget to get your air conditioner the service it needs when it needs it. When spring and early summer roll around make sure to schedule that maintenance appointment. Likewise, if your air conditioner is acting up don’t delay in scheduling a repair.
Using every trick in the book and still not able to keep cool? That is a problem we can help with. Contact Air On Demand to schedule an appointment with a pro to get your AC running right again.